Thursday, March 10, 2011

Brain in my head and Bambi

About a month and a half ago Mackenzie started getting her name on the board for silly stuff. Stuff she knew better than to do... stuff not worth getting her name on the board over. So we decided we needed a renewed focus on making "good choices".

We started with the little stuff for a week without getting her name on the board, and then after about 2 1/2 weeks she got her name on the board for something silly again. (Seriously what 4 yr old isn't going to have that problem from time to time? But it had started to happen kinda consistently so we wanted to nip it in the bud) Anyway, Brian wanted to try motivating her with a bigger prize that she had to go longer to earn.

Everyday on the way to school we talk about what kind of choices she will make, and how she'll mind her teachers and how she has her listening ears on. Believe me its hard work to keep the same subject fresh and new every day so she doesn't tune it out! :) But it's well worth it to see how good she is doing and how hard she is working to make good choices!

One night this week we were talking about how she hadn't gotten her name on the board and she said "Mom, it's because I kept my mind in my head!" (I had to try so hard not to laugh at her because she was sooo sincere!) In other words, she was thinking about the choices before she made them. The next morning on the way to school, she said "Mom, I've got screws in my head to keep my brain in my head!" This time she was being silly, but still talking about how she was going to think about her choices. It made me so proud to hear that she wasn't just saying it, she was getting the concept and connecting the dots!

Today was her last day of two weeks without her name on the board!!! Whoo Hoo for Mackenzie!! Tonight we went to Wal-Mart and she bought Bambi. We even had cash to let her pay for it herself so she would feel like a big girl! She was so proud of herself!

Thank goodness for cell phones because I was able to get these pics, without being too obvious! Well okay the picture of her holding Bambi in the buggy was obvious, but who cares...





No comments: